Michael Droob, Laust Sørensen
The Hercules Pavilion were build by King Christian IV in 1606. The Classicistic addition is by C. F. Harsdorf in 1773.
For The Hercules pavilions outdoor restaurant we were commissioned by The Agency for Palaces and Cultural Properties, to make a pavilion directly linked to the existing one, which would include summer furniture during the winter, as well as freezers and other storage.
After an analysis of the site, we suggested that instead of making a building - directly linked to the existing - to work with an alternative solution.
As the building should not be used to stay within, we proposed instead a large storage bench that could contain all the m3 needed. In that way we got a volume that respected the beautiful old historic building, that was an asset to the garden all year round, and did not need waivers from the conservation authorities.
Here The Agency for Palaces and Cultural Properties initially proposed a building.
The new storage furniture meets the program, adds user value all year and respects the cultural and historical place.